Instant Pot Lamb Cross-Cut Shanks
From customer and Reverence Farms fan Esther Rogers, this hearty dish utilizes lamb cross-cut shanks, an often overlooked cut of lamb, as the base for a delicious stew that's delicious any time of year.
- Instant Pot pressure cooker
- 1 lb Reverence Farms lamb cross-cut shanks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 glug olive oil
- 2 strips bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 whole onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp corn starch (blended with the water)
- Toss lamb in flour seasoned with garlic, salt, and rosemary.
- Add a glug of olive oil to the InstaPot, and brown chopped bacon slices (or a handful of chopped pancetta). Sautee until crispy and fat has rendered. Brown lamb 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove lamb from the pot and add a few cloves of minced garlic and a quartered onion.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the onion begins to soften, add half a cup of red wine to the pan to deglaze, and continue to cook the onion.
- Add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, an additional half cup of red wine, and 2 cups of beef broth.
- Next, add a couple of carrots cut into big chunks, a few halved red potatoes, and 8 oz of quartered mushrooms to the pot along with the lamb.
- Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Let the steam “natural” release for 15 minutes and then “quick” release.
- Add a slurry of cornstarch and water and boil until thickened.
- Serve with crusty bread and garnish with parsley and flake sea salt.